Applications are now open for the 2020 New Writers Awards and Callan Gordon Award. The deadline for all applications is Wednesday 3 July.
- A £2,000 cash award, allowing them to focus on their work
- Tailored personal development opportunities, which can include mentoring from writers and industry professionals
- PR, performance and presentation training
- The opportunity to showcase work to publishers and agents
- A week long retreat offering time, space and the freedom to create new work in idyllic surroundings
There are three categories, Fiction and Non-Narrative Fiction (also known as creative non-fiction), Poetry and Children’s and Young Adult Fiction. You can only apply to one category per year.
In 2020, the Callan Gordon Award, set up to celebrate the life of a young Scottish Writer, will also be awarded. Find out more about the Callan Gordon Award.
Entries are invited in English, Scots and a combination of both. There are also two awards for Gaelic writers, run in association with the Gaelic Books Council. You can apply for a Gaelic NWA in English or Gaelic. These will open later in the year.